How to see localized file names?
I have deleted many files on the drive but most of them have localized file names. When I run Active@ UNERASER, it shows garbage data/text instead of localized filename. How can I see localized file names using Active@ UNERASER?
Localized file names are stored on the drive in Unicode. Operating System (Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP) creates such filenames using special regional settings and set of fonts to handle and display filenames properly.
MS-DOS may have local fonts support but it does not know how to display Unicode.
Active@ UNERASER can display localized filenames in DOS only if you prepare proper file containing font definition for the same locale settings.
To prepare this file with font definitions follow these steps:
- Download UNICODE.EXE and save it to the same place where UNERASER.EXE is located.
- Run it in Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP that has the same locale settings.
- File UNICODE.DAT having size 65536 bytes should be created at the same folder
- Boot in DOS mode and runActive@ UNERASER
- Scan your drive and switch to "Long file names" mode by pressing [SHIFT]+[TAB] key
Now you should be able to see your localized file names.
To be able to see localized filenames you MUST have support of the local fonts when you boot in DOS mode. In other words - display driver for the proper code page should be loaded.
Click here: Questions & Answers
- How to undelete files on NTFS
- How to recover deleted files on a FAT32 volume
- How to recover a deleted folder containing files and subfolders
- How to check recoverability of a deleted file or folder
- How to use Active@ UNERASER for Disk Image creation
- How to scan and recover files if a partition exists but appears to be damaged
- How to force LBA mode to access larger drives (more than 8GB in size)
- How to see localized characters in file names
- How to backup and restore MBR, Partition Table and Boot Sectors
- How to recover files and folders on a partition that has been deleted
- How to prevent Master Boot Record (MBR) corruption
- How to recover files and folders from formatted or reformatted hard drive?
- How to read and copy existing files from NTFS to FAT partition?
- How to restore lost hard drive partition